This underwater strobe positioning tutorial video details 12 different strobe positions, with diagrams, details, and insights on different shooting situations. The tutorial is aimed at underwater photographers who would like to improve lighting and minimize backscatter.
In alignment with my photo instruction philosophy, I go beyond a simple demonstration of underwater strobe positions – I explain the logic behind them and how to best apply that logic to customize the default positions for various subjects and shooting situations. After studying this video and the underwater strobe positioning diagrams, you will have the knowledge required to adapt to almost any shooting situation on future dive trips.
The tutorial video format is casual, making you feel like you’re attending a one-on-one photo workshop. Pair this tutorial with my black backgrounds tutorial and you’ll be ready to light some beautiful images during your next scuba diving trip.
Underwater Strobe Positioning Tutorial Video Outline:
- 0:51 – Backscatter discussion
- 4:13 – Basic Wide-Angle
- 6:49 – Big Animals & Reefscapes
- 7:44 – Close Focus Wide-Angle
- 8:33 – White Sand Wide-Angle
- 9:35 – Portrait Orientation Wide-Angle
- 10:33 – Single Strobe Wide-Angle
- 12:32 – Basic Macro Strobe Positioning
- 13:58 – Close Subject Macro
- 15:24 – Supermacro
- 16:24 – White Sand Macro
- 17:20 – Portrait Orientation Macro
- 18:04 – Reef Crevices Macro
- 18:36 – Single Strobe Macro
- 20:04 – Outro
Underwater strobe positioning is essential in order to minimize backscatter and add beautiful light (and color, pop, contrast) to your photos and even videos. Time to start learning the secrets!
Please feel free to reach out with any questions about the video: firstname.lastname@example.org.